Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas –to-do list




Countdown! A few weeks from now it’s gonna be Christmas. I have seen the familiar and famous Christmas tree in Victoria Plaza made of lights. DLPC is earning more at this time of year because the city is just full of colorful lights and lanterns are almost everywhere. In fact, the first floor of our two storey apartment looks like Charlie’s Chocolate factory annex because the renters down there had maximized including our fences adorned with Christmas lights and foil strings. Everynight after work we hear the same carols and greetings sang and yelled in familiar voices. At school, our bell begins with a Christmas jingle before a female pre-recorded voice would say “Today is Wednesday, December 10, 2008. The time is 7:20 p.m.”. Okay, so it’s really Christmas and I am out to take the plunge and make a better Christmas than I had last year. Last year was horrible, it was the most painful Christmas I could remember. And I hope that despite the memory the holiday would bring me, I would be strong enough not to spoil the fun.

December 24 is the day I have been looking forward to (apart from the day we will receive our envelopes containing our yearly bonus) because that marks the first day of my plans.

Decemeber 24 (though not a declared holiday), I will leave work at 3:30 in the afternoon and do my shopping before taking the boat. I must not forget to buy 2 bottles of so-ju for my uncles to try, 3 bottles of red wine for gifts to some friends and for the reunion the next day in Davao and two bottles of Cerveza Negra for myself. Of course I must buy my lovely daughter her goodies so she will have endless supply of her own for Christmas eve. Food? I am not sure what I will contribute because I heard there will be roasted pig on that day courtesy of my daughter’s grandmother.

In the evening, before eve, I will be dropping off the gifts I have been collecting for the five children in the neighborhood I have decided to adopt for Christmas. I have also thought of what are the possible gifts I can wrap for each of them. Some of the people at work are also thinking of helping me out. I am also thinking of buying some milk and a layer of cake for them. Christmas is for children to be happy.

December 25, I will be travelling to Davao with my daughter and sister to attend the reunion in my father’s side. This is the first time our children will be meeting after a long time. One of the bottles of wine will be brought there. Perhaps we will be singing there and we will be watching the children and babies of cousins and aunts. We will be talking about this and that, these and those, updates and answering the questions “So, who are you dating now Mantis?” or “How’s G?”. Maybe we will be talking about my estranged father and brother and mother and another brother. And of course I will be bragging about how amazing my daughter is. Of course, there will be drinking for men and women but none for me. My daughter would surely make me dizzy. For sure I will be carrying enough books for her, drawing materials and bubbles for her to be kept busy.

In the afternoon, if there is energy left in us, we will go to MTS or another restaurant and have something to eat for dinner. I think we won’t be able to travel back to the island. We will sleep here in the apartment if none from my relatives would offer their house for a sleep over.

December 26 , if it happens that we will be able to go home the day before, we will just be staying at home and watch a movie assuming that I have already bought the new DVD player that I have been planning to purchase before Christmas. If we are still in Davao which is quite a possibility, we will be visiting some friends around the city. Maybe it is also high time for Alex to visit the orphanage and see the children there who got to spend Christmas away from their families. I also plan that she can go around the city, either in a mall or in a park with all the goodies she can have. I also have to buy the things we need for the next day’s plan. It’s Christmas.

December 27, more than Christmas, this is the first time in one year that I have four days straight of no work. Yes, my much awaited vacation. I plan to go to Karen’s Pool in the island with my daughter in the morning. She has been asking me to take her to a swimming pool. So, I think this is the best time. In the afternoon, I plan that we go to the Monfort Bat Cave which is just a few minutes away from the pool. I believe that it would be nice to slowly expose my daughter to nature specially to bats and how important they are to the balance of nature despite the myth of Dracula and vampires associated with the harmless fruit bats. I hope Mara and Mai can join us.

December 28, last day before working resumes is just a total rest day. I want it laid back and just rest.

That’s it. That’s the full plan for the four days vacation. I have yet to make plans for the New Year…hmmm, got any ideas?

No comments: